About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

[10.] Chinese Altar: Where to place an altar?

myfs_145791

Hi,

I would like to seek your advice on the following:

(A) Based on the layout of my new flat, where would be an ideal position to place an altar for worshipping Guan Yin buddha?

(B) Is it necessary to custom the size of the altar based on certain dimensions or ratio?

(C) Can I just pray to the buddha without lighting joss sticks?

(D) Is it okay to eat beef at home?

Thank you very much!

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Lawrence K. wrote:
Hi,

I would like to seek your advice on the following:

(A) Based on the layout of my new flat, where would be an ideal position to place an altar for worshipping Guan Yin buddha?

Please see attachment:

1. Since there is very limited space in your living room cum dining room; sometimes, if Option in RED 2 is chosen; then most likely, if your dining table is large, it may have to be moved as shown in the attachment.

2. Under Option in RED 1: dining table may stay or moved.

3. Best location for an altar is based on ranking in RED: 1 , 2 and lastly 3 or 4.

4. The worst place for an altar is at marking in PURPLE "A".

5. If option 3 or 4 is chosen, then the tv console should be moved futhest away from the altar.

(B) Is it necessary to custom the size of the altar based on certain dimensions or ratio?

Definitely, all good altars conform to good Feng Shui measurements: where the Yang auspicious ruler measurement must be auspicious as wall as the Yin auspicious ruler measurement must equally be auspicious.

(C) Can I just pray to the buddha without lighting joss sticks?

This is considered as a "simple praying".

Drawing a parallel to the Catholic religion; many Catholic public buildings e.g. St Patrick's School has a Virgin Mary statue in it's grounds. And many Catholics e.g. Catholic teachers "kiss" her feet as a mark of respect. As Catholics don't light joss sticks. Occassionally, they may light some candles e.g. during Easter or Christmas.

I am not asking to the feet of the "buddha".

Frankly, I am a free thinker; perhaps, you can approach people of your faith or religion and check FURTHER with them.

Since I am a free thinker, anything goes. So long as you don't ask me to go to a church or temple; I would prefer having a good nap then venture there. That is why perhaps free thinkers are literally free and easy.

(D) Is it okay to eat beef at home?

As mentioned above, I am a free thinker. I must confess that like all Chinese, anything that crawls, legs or no legs; flies it can easly go into my mouth. Provided on one condition: it has to be FRESH.

Thus, again, you may be asking the wrong person: as a free thinker, I am a carnivore (any sort ofnon-human meat) and ok with vegetables.

Again, if your religion DOES NOT permit you to eat beef, then so be it. Please check with people of your faith or if you follow your parent's faith, then do get their advice! Seriously!

Like this situation: Many who go to church are told off " believe in god or believe in luck?" Definitely you have to believe in god! not luck!

But many times; when you converse with a taxi driver; they often say LUCK plays an important part of their business.

No offence, Morale of this story? For some of your questions; please don't seek advice from a free thinker like me! Cheers!

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

Hi Master Cecil,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes I do realise that the space is really limited and it is challenging to think of an ideal way to optimise the placement of the altar.

With reference to the suggested option 3, there is a little hole beside the area in the balcony. It actually represents a water pipe, probably for draining water in the balcony area. With this info, does it mean that option 3 is still feasible?

A follow-up question: Could the altar be placed in the balcony?

• Staff

1. Further to what I had mentioned, especially if the home is a landed property or condominium; usually the ceiling is higher than aregular Govt.Housing Board flat.

2. If so, one MAY still consider placing the altar at the previous mentioned: OPTION 1.

3. Here, a tailor-made top-hung cabinet can be placed as shown in the attachment.

Caution: Just becareful if a pull out shelf to place fruits is used; don't bang the head against it will do. Else don't install one of these.

• Staff

Lawrence K. wrote:

Hi Master Cecil,

With reference to the suggested option 3, there is a little hole beside the area in the balcony. It actually represents a water pipe, probably for draining water in the balcony area. With this info, does it mean that option 3 is still feasible?

1. Since there is a water pipe; then option 4 (as shown earlier in light cyan-blue) should be considered instead. This is where the TV console is pushed towards option 3 spot.

2. Option 3 can still apply if you continue to keep the sliding panel and also good if you draw-down the curtain at that area. Can still be considered better than instead of placing it at the balcony. Alternatively, you may have to sacrifice some space and place the altar at position marked in RED = 6 which is directly opposite position marking = 3.

Lawrence K. wrote:

Hi Master Cecil,

A follow-up question: Could the altar be placed in the balcony?

3. This is only as a LAST resort. And the main criteria is that it should not be bathed by say the afternoon sun. Equally important, it should not become "wet" e.g. heavy down-pour or strong winds that make the entire altar wet.

4. Thus, please see attachment. AS A LAST RESORT, it might work at location marked in RED 5. The balcony area may have some "screen" e.g bamboo blinds to protect from strong winds and rain fall. And location marked 5, is not affected by afternoon sun.

5. However, placing the altar at the balcony, should be a last resort in your case. In the past, many balcony have half height solid brick wall; therefore, symboically it is a plus point. Nowadays, many balcony are not like that.

• 1 month later...

Hi Master Cecil
My unit has a layout almost similar to Lawrence's one. In Lawrence case his unit has a balcony whereas mine is a lanai. So it only has windows rather than an exposed balcony. So in this case I wonder if it is discouraged to have the altar place in lanai area considering it doesn't have balcony features? Thank you.