About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Altar and water fountain position

myfs_103485

Hi

I like to find out would it be ok if my Altar (Guan Yin) face directly towards the balcony?

I like the sound of water. Is it advicable to place a waterfountain at the balcony area?

I am asking these cos i have heard people saying that these two items cannot be placed anywhere i like.

Please advice. Thanks.

Confused

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Anon,

1. These are some general guidelines as to the placement of an altar:-

1.1 Where possible, an altar should have it's back against a solid object such as a wall. And if possible: "sitting on mountain facing water".

For the Hokiens (Chinese dialect group) the saying is " CHAY SWAR KWAR HAI " or Sit on mountain looking at the sea.

1.2 Avoid placing the altar against the same wall as the toilet.

1.3 Avoid placing the altar facing a dining table. (Considered disrespectful - we eat while the "god(s)" look at us eating....

1.4 Avoid placing the altar facing the bedroom(s).

Looks like, your placement of an altar seems to be ok other than considering any of the above.

2. As for placement of water, there are in-fact, many messages on this in this forum area. Please try to do a search.

I have attached a Case Study of a home where there is not much real-estate area in the living room area for an altar to face the balcony. In situations, such as this, an altar at the location mentioned is OK.

Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 5/19/2004 9:11:40 PM, Anonymous wrote:

Hi

I like to find out would it be

ok if my Altar (Guan Yin) face

directly towards the balcony?

I like the sound of water. Is

it advicable to place a

waterfountain at the

balcony area?

I am asking these cos i have

heard people saying that these

two items cannot be placed

anywhere i like.

Please advice. Thanks.

Confused

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• 4 years later...

Dear Master Lee,

- you mentioned in your answer about "sitting on mountain facing water". Does it have with Mountain Star, Water Star and Base Star to do? or does it mean only "the altar should have its back solid object/wall and facing a window"?

- I live in Europe. Here is the kitchen in the same room with the dining room. As tradition given by my parents, we put kitchen deity (zao jun) on the wall above the stove. In such position, the deity's position is facing the dining table. Is that bad? or is there any way to remedy?

- I have also read that putting the Fu Lu Sau figure in dining room and facing the dining table can bring luck. I am not sure if Fu Lu Sau belong to deities/gods or not, since I never worship Fu Lu Sau and I have no altar for them. Is it ok? or is it better to replace them to living room?

Thank you in advance.

Warm regards,
ZQ

• Staff

1. Yes, it is just an expression.

2. Fu Lu Shou is never meant to be "prayed-to". Symbolically, it should be placed facing where-ever one seats. Thus, if one sits at the living room, ideally, it should be facing "you". And it is very common to be placed on a table facing the dining table.

3. Best to place it at the Living Room. If it is placed at the dining room area, the table should preferably be (nice-to-have) 49 inches to not more than 50 inches tall (based on auspicious measurement - of the Feng Shui ruler). If the table holding the Fu Lu Shou is too low, it is like when we eat, these deities are salivating... all over...

4. Never place it facing the main door. You don't want the three of them to be "guarding your door" nor perform "guard duties" there..