About Feng Shui at Geomancy.Net
Sponsored Link

Color of Roof

jennan

Sponsored Link

• Staff

Dear Jen,
It is best to go for clay coloured roof tiles or even red/maroon.
There was once, a client who used to have clay coloured roof tiles. Because of the numerous leaves that had fallen on the roof, and algae growth on it, the roof `turned' greenish. Fortunately, this house `looks like a crab' or has a profile of a crab. The owners became very successfully and prospherous.
However, the owners subsequently got the roof cleaned and things was not the same again. The green algae grown is akin or symbollic of `wealth accumulation'.
Overall, locally and overseas, it is common to find green roof tiles especially for temples.
For a house tht has e.g. blue or grey roofs; blue or grey actually represents the water element; and if the owner truly does not want to change the colour of the tiles, then, it is best to paint the external walls of entire house or maintain the external walls to white colour. At least, this would achieve a two `productive cycle' flow of water and metal (white).
Warmest Regards,
Cecil

On 10/15/2002 3:42:00 AM, Anonymous wrote:
hi Cecil,
you advised that blue is not
auspicious color for a roof as
it symbolizes water and thus
will give financial difficulty
to the tenants of the house.
what are the
acceptable/auspicious colors
for the roof of the house?
thanks
jen

Master Cecil Lee, Geomancy.Net

• 17 years later...
  • Staff
On 3/7/2020 at 12:07 AM, Kalai said:

Hi Cecil, good day to you. thats an enlightening sharing about blue color. Could you please advise and share your views on yellow roof color? thank you

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-06 at 11.37.18 PM.jpeg

1. Thank you for sharing with us (to me) an unusual house roof colour.

2. Although if I had not mistaken, previously I had seen this yellow coloured roof.. not in a home abode but rather a standalone restaurant. More like an association with a drive in of McDonalds.. LOL

3. Okay, firstly, this has nothing to do with racial thing.

4. In the past pre-1800's no Chinese homes have ever used such a roof-tile colour.

5. As in the past, one can be be-headed even for wearing yellow. 

6. As yellow was reserved for an emperor. Even a prince is not allowed to wear such a colour.

Taboos.gif.df4327e9a4478bef3fce203613abf66e.gif

7. Thus, even today, many Chinese homes never ever used Yellow roofing.

8. Even when I had previously visited the Forbidden City a few years ago, no yellow roof tiles has been used. As perhaps, this is disrespectful of the emperor. 

8.1. And really, not only the head of that household may be be-headed, but all their clan and family members too!

9. Since almost next to zero usage, there is really no precedence, cannot share any stories good or bad associated with it.

10. Generally, under the Five Elements, Yellow represents the earth element. And the photo of the house in your photo looks like an Earth element building as the house seems rectangular in shape.

11. In a way, seems harmonious! Technically looks okay.

12. Anything related to common sense? Habit number 5?

428575351_12HabitsofFengShuiMindmap2.thumb.png.9b192c9adeeb75b5a1636cf5f8b552a1.png

12.1 Often, I will search my brain cells / brain database to see whether is there any common sense related to yellow roofs?

12.2. What immediately comes to my mind are pigments.

12.3. In the past, yellow and red paint use organic pigments that are sensitive to ultra-violet rays.

12.3.1. A yellow car depending on it’s exposure to sunlight can have a noticeable dullness and faded colour in a matter of 12 months or more!

12.4. Therefore, in the past, if one were to buy especially a yellow colour. A few years down the road, because of the organic paint used, yellow has a higher rate of fading.

13. If we follow the logic under Para 12.3. This means that if the yellow roof tiles still use organic yellow based paint, won't it fade and or discolouration occurs?

14. Fortunately, in modern times, I believe some paints or glazing uses synthetic yellow paint.. that are equal to other colours that don't use organic materials.

15. This is fine. Or Okay.

16. In humid countries and often raining. Countries like Singapore may not be too suitable to yellow. As algae or other such matters may partially cover and turn the roof even greenish etc...

17. The other thing is that if the roof tiles are dirty... yellow is such an obvious colour.

18. This is why we understand this thing called: Yellow, yellow dirty fella!

19. If this house is in Syria today, I won't want to stay in such a home. As if a rogue or Turkish combat plane or drown were to fly past this Syrian home... it really sticks out like a sore-thumb. Don't want to be at the end of a "bunker busting bomb" shaft down one's throat!.

• Staff

Further to what I had mentioned, Chinese has been stereo typed as having yellow skin. (Okay, me included).

Assuming if a Chinese bought this same house in a western country.

This same house may even be glaringly obvious of the Chinese.

Given the recent COVID-19 thing... if I am that Chinese, I will certainly stay as low a profile as I can!

Okay, if one is not a Chinese... just maybe this is okay!